Jan 20, 2016

Altered Board Game Mini Album Tutorial

book 1

I'm back to share a neat tutorial for you today on converting old board games to altered book projects.  I was running out of things to alter this weekend.  I wanted to switch things up from making cards and tags.  I rummaged through my drawer of "alterables" and found two and a half Scrabble board games.  I decided they would make the perfect substrate for my collection of projects for A Vintage Journey challenges, since they are basically heavy chipboard.  Maybe by the end of the year I will have an entire collection that will form a pretty neat altered book.

book 2

Simple board games come with a board that is scored in the center and connected on top with the printed game and on bottom with cloth book binding tape.  To turn them into book pages simply break the "spine" by folding the halves backward.  You may have to do this twice, but the halves simply break in two.  Next divide the length of each panel in two to determine where to cut.  Then cut with your regular paper cutter using an old blade.  Always save an old blade - I write on mine OLD with a Sharpie.  Cut once at the desired length using the ruler on your cutter, then flip and cut again on the other side to complete the cut.  Easy peasy cutting - no fancy cutter required.

book 3

For my pages I left the ragged cloth tape as is because I was fond of the tattered look.  I am going to line all of these up as the "spine" of my book.  As I work each page, I will lightly sand the cut edges so they won't feel sharp or rough.

book 4

For these pages I layered my collages over the printed game board side and inked the Scrabble pattern with Walnut Stain so it would blend in with my designs.  Of course, you could paint or gesso the pages if you like.  But, Scrabble is actually my favorite board game and I wanted the board itself and the "Scrabble burgundy" to show.  The only reason I could bare to upcycle these game boards is  that I have a deluxe spinning board with groves to hold the tiles in place.  I know, I'm so cool!  ;0

book 5

For my girlfriends collage I cut and layered parts of the Wallflower stash by Tim Holtz.  I tattered the edges and dipped each piece in puddles of ink to further grunge them up.

book 6

I used one of my DIY paper flowers (tutorial HERE) as an embellishment.   The clock face is a Tim Holtz Rub-on.  This page reminds me that my best friend and I were two pretty little girls, but loved our grand adventures.  Bikes played such an important part in our childhood.  I know that's not the case nowadays, but I am thankful that it was for us.  Oh the fun we had.  How time flies...

book 7

For my vintage travel page I followed pretty much the same process.  This stamp is an unmounted stamp and I don't have the maker, but I have always loved it.

book 8

My friend Bonnie loaned me this cool Tim Holtz torn paper edge die, love it!

book 9

I was pretty happy with using a rub-on over the burlap panel.  It only looks whitish when you zoom in.  I really wanted to incorporate the feeling of passing time.


So there you have it, my combination of two very amazing challenge themes and a pretty cool mini album concept.  I will probably bind it with rings, but am going to get more pages completed before making that decision.

book 11

I'm playing with:
SSS Monday: Best Friends
A Vintage Journey: Vintage Travel and Luggage
The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge: Time Flies (I used clocks and a general feel of nostalgia towards my childhood)
Creative Artiste Challenge: Chipboard (my book is made from chipboard)
MMMC

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

36 comments:

Vintagehandmade said...

Wow, Autumn, what a genius idea to create a mini out of a board game! Creating mini albums was my first love in paper crafting. Your mini album is just fantastic! I adore that vintage feel and you used those ephemera pieces so wonderfully! A perfect distressing and aging. Thank you so much for the fabulous tutorial and a great inspiration!
Huge hugs! Branka xxx

Donna Ellis said...

You are so talented, Autumn, and really creative when altering something! Your project is beautiful with so many fun and pretty details! Thanks for sharing with multiple photos so I could see every special element! hugs, de

rachel said...

gorgeous - love this to bits! Hugs rachel x

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely brilliant recycling at it's best love all the vintage ephemera and great distressing-I love every detail
carol x

Hettie said...

Absolutely BRILLIANT piece of art Autumn. I LOVE this. The layers, the pictures, everything is just wonderful.
I bought a scrabble game for the tiles and have not thrown the board out as I know it will come into use some day and you have given me some great ideas.
Hugs
xx

Lisa said...

Wow, these are amazing!! You did such an fabulous job recycling the game boards!! The design and details are so awesome!! I love, love this!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Pawsitively Creative said...

What a genius idea and recycling is always a good thing! Your altered game turned into a fantabulous and awesome sauce design. So vintage and yummy! Every time I look at it, I see something new. Looks like you had a blast making this and also enjoyed some good memories. Wowzers! Hugz! ~Niki

Mary Brack said...

This is incredible, Autumn!

Greta said...

I'm in awe! Beautifully done!

kiwimeskreations said...

What fabulous pages Autumn - so vintage a rustic, and yet telling your own tale.
Blessings
Maxine

brenda said...

What can I say other than such inspirational recycling Autumn, or is it upcycling, never totally sure of the defining line between the two.

B x

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Using old board games as a substrate is a brilliant idea and your pages are absolutely stunning! That vintage look is always a winner for me! I'll be on the look-out for old board games from now on! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier! :)

Pamellia said...

Holy moses Autumn, this is just spectacular!!! WOW!! So many pages filled with a million little details to ooh and aah at! I just love the amazing vintage feel to this with all the fabulous images and dark neutral tones! Incredible album, LOVE LOVE LOVE!! You rock! hugs :)

Becca Cruger said...

I saw your linkup in the SSS DT call and thought to myself - if she doesn't get it they'd be crazy. Your work is impeccable - and this project is proof! Love your layers, love the vintage feel, love EVERYTHING about this.

Zoey | Scrapsaurus said...

Autumn, this is AMAZING!!!!

Gio said...

Wow, such an amazing piece of altered art. So inspiring!

Words and Pictures said...

Utterly charming - and what a wonderful idea to upcycle the game boards. You get character right from the off, and I love your choice of papers and ephemera in your collaging. Wonderful!
Alison x

Barb Turpin said...

Both board pages are amazing! I love the collage effect and all of the wonderful materials you've used. I found your blog from your SSS Friends challenge and it is perfect!

sarascloset said...

Ok, so I said your journal was my favorite, until the next thing you do. Well, I'm tracking backward, so I goofed! Now THIS is my albsolute favorite thing you have done! I LOVE upcyclying/recycling, and you can't do better than a game board to do so. So sorry you are running out of things to recycle...would you like to Closet shop at my house???? I could hook you up, for sure!

this is such a delight to look at! I could spend all day gazing at this and probably see something new. So, I'm going to pin it and then I can drool whenever I want. I love those vintage tones, you incredible distressing and spot on layering! Boy, what a great tutorial, but I want to come craft with you!

You are on crafty fire, Autumn. You are obviously feeling much better, and I'm happy for your improved health. I think you may have told me before where you are. My brother and sister in law used to live in Spartanburg, so we weren't too far from you. Looked at property on Lake Marion, but so happy we decided against it, due to the failing economy and our ensuing economic bust.

By the way, Scrabble is one of my favorite board games, as well. My sister used to play with 3 games at once, just to make it more interesting. And yeah, you're cool with your bad deluxe version of the game, but that would make me cool, too! That does it, I'm coming west, young lady, but first I'm going to study my Scrabble dictionary (yes, I have one of those, too! Tee Hee!

Mrs.B said...

Beautiful pages Autumn, love you choice of paper and images for the collage.
Avril xx

Lisa H said...

This is a great idea and I love the result. Thank you for sharing your beautiful project with us at Mixed Media Monthly!

My Scrap Pages and Cards said...

wow that looks fantastic, I love all the work you have put in
thanks for joining our challenge over at
Creative Artisite Mix Media blog
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk
http://mygrandsonsandothermemories.blogspot.com.au/
Debbie DT

A Pink said...

Now thats what I call upcycling at it best as your finish altered game boards are utterly fabulous . I love the aged feel of those vintage tones and and the way they tell a story - your story ! Yay for the good old days . Thank you so much for joining in the fun at A Vintage Journey and sharing these beauties with us x

Mimi said...

Awe-some! See why crafters keep the broken and old? 'Cuz magic sometimes happens! How fun thus may have been to assemble each satisfying piece!

experiments in paper said...

Very fun, and a cool idea!! Your layering of so many different things is absolutely fantastic - mine always ends up looking like a storage locker, lol! Love this! xxx Lynn

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

WOW! Never have board games looked so good! I love how these pages turned out and how you gave each one its own personality, yet they tie together perfectly. I really like the layers you built up and all of the little details you included. So much beauty here and this was a joy to see! Thanks for sharing this extraordinary piece with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

sweetpea said...

Very Inventive recycling, Very cleverly done. Janet Creative Artiste Mixed Media DT x

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! really creative, resourceful, love it!!

Wheelie Crafty said...

Fabulous Mini Album Autumn, Thank you for joining in on our challenge over at Creative Artiste's Mixed Media Challenge.. Good Luck and we hope to see you again soon...

Hugs Rhonda DT xx
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au

Anna-Karin said...

These are gorgeous and what a very clever idea to use old board games. I need to go out and find myself some, a great sturdy surface. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Julia Aston said...

what a wonderful board book you are making Autumn! I love how you've decorated both pages - super laying of ephemera and stampings - what a creative idea and your finished book is going to be just gorgeous! Thanks for joining us in the AVJ travel challenge! Julia xx

Unknown said...

stunning! I just adore your layers and all your pieces!! What a great up-cycling idea!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!!

WendyK said...

A brilliant tutorial and a wonderful result. I was wondering what to do with my old game boards left over from my days of altering scrabble tiles. Thank you for the inspiration.

Rachel said...

each and every page is beautiful! what a wonderful idea. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Jenny Marples said...

Oh seriously Autumn! Be still my beating heart! LOVE every inch of this! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

sarascloset said...

Congratulations on your AVJ win! You are the luckiest lady on earth, but your project is so deserving! Big hugs!

Popular Posts